Community Development Resources (CDR), formerly Self Employment Loan Fund of Lincoln (SELF), was established in 1994 to fill a gap in access to capital resources, technical assistance and training for low-income, minority and women business owners. Initially, through a peer-group lending model, and then in 1999, SELF initiated its Direct Loan Program. In 2001, CDR became an independent 501 (c)(3) non-profit organization with a governing board of directors and began a plan to increase its community impact and presence.
Late in 2002, CDR became a U.S. Department of Treasury certified Community Development Financial Intuition (CDFI). To become a CDFI, Community Development Resources demonstrated the following requirements:
- The organization has a primary mission of community development.
- The organization is a financing entity.
- The organization serves and maintains accountability to eligible target markets.
- The organization provides technical assistance.
- The organization is not controlled by a government entity.
As a CDFI, CDR has the opportunity to increase economic development capital in the state of Nebraska through the CDFI Fund’s Assistance Award program.